Once you become a member, there are endless volunteering opportunities available to you! Our co-operative functions on the principle that each member, equally, gives what they can. And since we are completely volunteer run, we appreciate all and any volunteering contributions made! Use the online form here to express your interest and scroll down to read more about it all.
The perks of volunteering!
Apart from learning new skills and becoming part of a diverse group of interesting, supportive people, volunteering earns you extra discounts in the shop! One hour of volunteering a week earns you a 25% discount on shop items, while two hours or more earns you a 40% discount. These discounts must be claimed in the week you do your volunteering.
Before you can volunteer with us, you need to do a quick training session so that you are covered by our insurance and that we can give you the rundown on the shop and on how things work. There are no regular training sessions over summer, but email us and we will try and organise one !
Types of volunteering
As we are completely volunteer run, there are endless volunteering opportunities available at Thoughtful Foods! Have a read through some of the options below and if you are interested sign up here.
There are many things we do on a weekly basis and it is always helpful to have people who can commit to helping out once a week. These tasks include:
* Shop assisting
* Veggie packing (on Thursday mornings)
* Jar and towel washing
* Publishing the bulletin
* Bread ordering
Projects / Events
Thoughtful Foods holds 4-5 events a semester, as well as doing some catering around the campus. If you’d like to volunteer occasionally, we always need help running events. Some tasks include:
* Recruiting & rostering volunteer stall assistants
* Stalls / Catering: making bookings, setting up, manning and packing down
* Preparation: baking / cooking
* Helping out at cleaning Bees events, when we make our shop look beautiful!
* Lending cooking / catering equipment such as large pots, bowls, cutlery, etc.
* Music: Our best events have someone playing an instrument, or bringing along a portable music player.
Promoting Thoughtful Foods
We are a little shop and most people find out about us through word-of-mouth. As Thoughtful Foods is a different style of shopping, it takes a bit more effort to promote the shop and entice people to come and check us out. Some of the tasks involved with this include:
* Advertising the co-op: lecture bashing, putting up posters, attending our stalls
* Graphic design (videos, photos, posters)
* Article writing
* Product research
Click here to see what shifts we need help with this week and sign up for one.
Click here to see when our next Cleaning Bee is and sign up to help out.
Click here to see what events are coming up and sign up to help with them.